Thursday, February 21, 2008

Green Cheek Babies

Green Cheek Babies

Tonight while I was giving everyone their dinner and doing a final check before their bedtime I noticed that Rhea was out of her nest box. I opened the box and took a quick peek. I saw at least 3 maybe 4 little naked babies. They were all huddled together so I couldn’t tell for sure if it is 3 or 4. She hurried back in to her box so I closed it quickly. It will be at least 3 days before I check it again, I don’t want to upset her. Cronus is a normal Green Cheek and Rhea is a Pineapple Green Cheek.

The new playpen is working out wonderfully! The babies have more room to play and explore. We were able to put up more perches. I picked up some great curvy willow branches this week-end. The babies are having so much fun with all the extra room and the new toys we put in. We are still working on the cam.

I did a lot of veggie drying over the last few days. Spinach and carrots were on sale at the grocery store so I bought a bunch and brought them home and dried most of them. The balance has already been fed to the birds.

Today’s birdie bread had spinach, pecans, and dried kale. By the time I had finished giving everyone some the first birds that got it had already finished it! They also had sprouts today. Apollo and Sirona didn’t eat their sprouts today. They usually eat them like they are starving!

I am working on a new dried mixture for them. I am waiting for the hibiscus and chamomile flowers to come in. When I get everything in I will put up the ingredients. I found some star anise on sale at the local health food store. The lady that runs Morning Glory Market in St. Joseph is a very wonderful woman. She is always placing special orders for me, answering my questions and having the patience of a saint! If you are ever over by the new Paneras make sure you stop in and take a look at all the great stuff she has there.

I made some granola the other day and it was a huge hit with the birds and my family! I thought it needed more cinnamon and something else. I can’t put my finger on what it is so I will try a few different things. When I get it where I am satisfied with it I will share the recipe with you.

No comments: